This Week's Home Prices in Simi Valley
Real estate market data provided by Ryan Huggins of Huggins Homes
About the Simi Valley Area
The city of Simi Valley (from the Chumash word, Shimiyi), is situated in the southeast corner of Ventura County. The city's 2014 population has been estimated at 126,871, up from 111,351 in 2000. The city of Simi Valley is surrounded by the Santa Susana Mountain range and the Simi Hills, west of the San Fernando Valley, and northeast of the Conejo Valley. It is largely a commuter bedroom community feeding the larger cities in Ventura County to the west and the Los Angeles area and the San Fernando Valley to the east.
The Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, where the former president was buried following his death in 2004, is in Simi Valley. A study done by the University of Vermont ranked Simi Valley as the fifth-happiest city in the United States. According to crime statistics by the FBI in 2013, Simi Valley is the seventh-safest city in the U.S. with a population of 100,000 or more. The U.S. Census Bureau of 2012 reported a median household income of $87,894, which is higher than the California median of $70,231 and the national average of $62,527.
One of Simi Valley's most unique features is a happy face that has been faithfully maintained on the side of a hill as you enter Simi Valley from Chatsworth. Recent upgrades include night time lighting.
Simi Valley is home to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, which has been visited by more than 1 million people since it opened. President Reagan was buried at the library in June 2004. The library adjoins a hangar in which the Boeing 707 SAM 27000 (Air Force One), which served presidents Nixon through G.W. Bush, is housed and available for tours. In the pavilion are various automobiles used to transport the president, as well as Marine One, the presidential helicopter.
The former Corriganville Movie Ranch and its Fort Apache film set, now Corriganville Regional Park, is the Santa Susana Knolls. Many television series were filmed there during the 1950s, such as Richard Carlson's Mackenzie's Raiders. Other areas of filming includes Big Sky Ranch, where the Little House on the Prairie was filmed, Poltergeist was filmed on Roxbury Street, and Welcome Danger (1929) and numerous others in Santa Susana.
In popular culture
Given its close proximity to Hollywood, Simi Valley has long been a popular entertainment industry location.
- Simi Valley and the surrounding hills have been the site of several television shows, including the long-running series Gunsmoke and M*A*S*H.
- Many freeway scenes from the TV Show CHiPs were filmed on the 118 in Simi Valley while it was under construction.
- In 1983, Colleen McCullough's TV mini-series, The Thorn Birds, was brought to life in a remote corner of the Simi Valley.
- The 1986 western comedy film ¡Three Amigos! was partially filmed here.
- The 1982 hit horror film Poltergeist was filmed on Roxbury Street in Simi Valley.
- For the 1992 movie "Sneakers" with Robert Redford, the Gibraltar Savings building was transformed to The Playtronics Toy company.
- Most of the 2003 film adaptation of The Cat in the Hat starring Mike Myers and Dakota Fanning was filmed in Simi Valley.
- In March 2008, G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra starting filming in the northern hills above Simi Valley, near the Little House on the Prairie site.
- Scenes in Criminal Minds were filmed in various places in Simi Valley, Including an intersection on Cochran St.
Simi Valley Real Estate Report SummaryBelow is a current market snapshot of the Simi Valley area:
|Simi Valley||This week||Last week||Difference|
|Sold (over the last six months):||448||464||-16|
|Median list price:||$579,900.00||$579,900.00||$0|
|Median sales price:||$563,000.00||$564,950.00||-$1,950|
|Median days on market:||56||56||0|
CONTACT RYAN TODAY to find out what you home is worth!
Follow us on social media!
Be the first to know about our new listings and events! Join our email list today at www.HugginsHomes.com/newsletter/
#SimiValley #Simi #RealEstate #HomeValue